In January 2023, the Mississippi Department of Archives & History (MDAH) awarded more than $3.4M in preservation grants through the Community Heritage Preservation Grant (CHPG) program, funded by the Mississippi State Legislature. This grant program will assist nineteen preservation and restoration projects throughout the state.
The CHPG program specifically supports the preservation and restoration efforts regarding historic courthouses and schools in Mississippi and other types of historic properties located in Certified Local Government communities.
BSA provided grant writing services for many clients and their incredible projects. We were thrilled to see the following received funding:
- Vaiden High School, Vaiden, Carroll County—$62,184
- Roof repairs and historic structures report
- Hinds County Armory (featured above), Jackson, Hinds County—$324,368
- Window restoration
- Kemper County Courthouse, DeKalb, Kemper County—$218,001
- Roof repairs and repainting
- Canton Rosenwald School, Canton, Madison County—$183,798
- Roof repairs and structural stabilization
- Trolio Hotel, Canton, Madison County—$184,000
- Roof repairs
- Byhalia High School, Byhalia, Marshall County—$200,039
- Roof repairs
- M&O Railroad Depot, Aberdeen, Monroe County—$98,353
- Interior and door repairs; and electrical upgrades
- Eupora School Complex-Administration Building, Eupora, Webster County—$78,235
- Roof, interior and exterior repairs
- Yazoo County Courthouse, Yazoo City, Yazoo County—$214,124
- Interior and exterior repair; mechanical and electrical upgrades
Congratulations to all this year’s awardees! To read the complete list of CHPGs awarded, click here.