Clarksdale Fire Station
The Central Fire Station in Clarksdale, Mississippi is a two-story solid masonry building located near the downtown core of Clarksdale. The building was designed by Brewer & Skewes, Architects & Engineers and built in 1956. The fire station was designated a Mississippi Landmark in 2012. It is an excellent example of historic Mississippi civic architecture of that time period, with a definite International style. The fire station has one addition, a twenty-first century metal building addition of three parking bays to the rear of the fire station. This addition is not visible from the primary streets and is no longer used as the primary truck bays for the fire station.
The first-floor houses 3 truck bays with original doors, 2 offices, a dispatch post, lounge, storage rooms, kitchen, public bathroom, and a two-story cleaning and drying tower for hoses. The second floor contains the private quarters for the firemen, including a bathroom with shower, locker room, a large bunk room, small bedroom, and storage. The building was constructed with very durable materials including concrete floors, concrete ceilings some with plaster finish and concrete exterior walls with a two-tone brick veneer emphasizing the horizontality of the building and simple aluminum windows. The kitchen is primarily original except for the addition of modern appliances and lighting fixtures throughout.
This project included restoration of the original roll-up doors, re-roofing, masonry restoration, interior electrical and finish repairs. Much of the construction work was performed by the firemen between calls.
Client: City of Clarksdale