ECCC Founders Gymnasium Master Planning & Facilities Study
The original Founders’ Gymnasium was constructed in the 1930’s and is the oldest remaining building on the East Central Community College’s Campus. The Gymnasium served as a home to military functions, sporting events, cultural, and social events until it closed in the 1990’s. Several top athletes and coaches made their debut in this building and to this day have made a significant impact in the lives of both young and old athletes and students who have attended ECCC. In the 1940’s, 2-story building additions were added to the east and west sides of the building and an extension to house additional seating at the south end was completed in the 1950’s for the Basketball team‘s fast-growing crowds.
The original Gymnasium is overall in very good shape. New life for the building including new administrative offices, conference rooms and computer labs are being considered to occupy the building after potential renovation, while maintaining the special character, feeling, and scale of the original gymnasium space.
Founders’ Gymnasium has been designated as a Mississippi Landmark and with its significant history and place in the life of the school and a growing interest with the alumni; the College hopes to restore the Gymnasium so the legends and memories can be carried on for years to come.
Client: East Central Community College
Date Completed: Multiphase; Ongoing