The Hinds Community College Administration Building, designed by architect Spain & Biggers Architects & Engineers, was constructed in 1951. The building will remain as the primary administration building for the College and will house the Vice President’s Office, the Dean of Academia’s Office, Financial Aid and Student Loans Office, Accounts Receivable, Veterans Affair’s Office as well as the Honors Program, and Faculty Meeting Space. The building was heavily modified in previous renovation projects, including replacement of the original doors, removal of a portion of the second floor to create a two-story high lobby area with a large steel stairway and dropped ceilings. The original horizontally banded windows above the main entry doors remained, as did examples of the original doors and trim.
This Renovation completely restored/renovated the interior and exterior of the building to return its original character, restore the remaining original elements and to meet the current administrative and student needs of the occupants. The renovation brought the building up to meet current code and ADA requirements, improve energy efficiency and included the installation of a new elevator to connect the two floors. The original exterior materials -brick masonry, stone banding, sills and copings, steel windows and matching circular porticos with Corinthian column capitals were restored. A new roof was installed and new leaderheads and downspouts were provided, matching the original. The entry lobbies were restored to their original one-story height, which returned much needed office and meeting space above. The original terrazzo floors were restored and reconstructed in areas that had been modified. New doors and trim were provided to match the original.
Client: Bureau of Buildings / Hinds Community College
Date Completed: 2018