Construction was completed on the Spires Bolling House in 1858 with the help of Jim Wells, the father of Ida B. Wells who was born on the property and later became a crusader for African-American and women’s rights. Through a partnership with the City of Holly Springs, Mississippi, Ida B. Wells Gallery Board of Directors, the Federated Women Club, three banks and interested citizens the Spires Bolling property was purchased and plans for restoration were begun. In August 2000, the Permit Committee of the Board of Trustees of the Mississippi Department of Archives & History considered the Spires Bolling House for designation as a Mississippi Landmark.
Since the Ida B. Wells-Barnett Museum founding 1996, it has committed itself to enriching the community by bringing outstanding works of creative expression, including exhibits, dance, music, poetry and meaningful lecture series.
Client: Ida B. Wells-Barnett Museum
Date Completed: 2005