The Coffeeville Courthouse one of two Yalobusha County Courthouses was constructed in 1890 and primarily consists of brick masonry with intricate detailing and a wood structure which was in poor condition. The octagonal shape of the exterior carries through to the interior trim details and courtroom layout. During restoration the exterior and interior were fully restored including removal of modern drop ceilings, restoration of the deteriorated floor structure and reorientation of the courtroom to the original layout. The former small jailhouse was modified for additional office space with a sensitive small bath addition. In an effort to conserve energy, the County installed ground coupled geo-thermal heating and air systems at both courthouses.A holding cell was incorporated near the witness stand. Services were coordinated between the two courthouses so that all departments were open throughout construction. Grant writing assistance was also provided resulting in award of more than $500k in funding assistance. Both buildings are designated Mississippi Landmarks through the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Client: Yalobusha County Board of Supervisors
Date Completed: 2006